Monday, July 21, 2008

He's movin' on up (movin' on up).... to the big crib


So the day I have been dreading came on Friday night. This was the night we officially put Brett in his crib in his own room. Now I know that some of you must be thinking that "wow, he's threee months old and he was still sleeping in your room!". Yes, we had his pack n play situated right next to my side of the bed, so I could just grab him in the middle of the night when he needed to nurse.

He's gradually been sleeping longer and longer, (although we'll still get a 3 a.m. wakeup on occasion), so yes, it's time to get him into his own room.

I know this is what needs to happen. We have a beautiful $400 crib to put him in. It's quiet in there and he needs to get used to his independence. Still it's HARD for me. I have come to love having him sleeping peacefully in his little bassinet right next to me. It's so reassuring to hear his little baby breaths as I drift to sleep.

So, we made the move on Friday. He did really well, but woke up at 3:00 (which sucks, because I have to go into his room to feed him now, unless Steve is gracious enough to get up and bring him to me). Other than that, no problem. And Saturday night, I about freaked out. I got up at 5:15, having not heard him yet and was hoping he was okay. He was sleeping peacefully, and in fact, didn't wake up until 6:30! This was a record for him... 7 1/2 to 8 hours of sleep!


We've also now started using the baby monitor, which is nice, but not the same. It's reassuing to hear him, but I miss having him in our room. I can't believe how sad I am about the move.... I don't know what I'll do when he goes to college!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Awww I remember feeling exactly how you feel. We also didn't put Hannah in her crib until she was 3 months old - she was in a bassinet by our bed and I was sad too when we finally moved her into her own room!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could go back to those days:)
Now I have my baby girl turning 5 and starting Kindergarten in a couple of weeks, and my baby boy climbing the couch thinking he is such a big boy trying to jump off!
They GROW UP too fast!! Where did my infants go?????????

Hold on Carrie next will be Brett running around chasing Derek and youll think the same thing LOL. :)

Cathy said...

Chris was 7 weeks old, outgrew the bassinet, when we moved him, he was so tiny in that great huge crib. I turned that monitor on full blast so I could discern his snoochie noises from the static. Still do that actually...had a bad dream last week, and listened to him breathe for over an hour...

Ry said...

I NEVER woke up when mine didn't! When they slept, I slept! If it was morning and I woke up before them, that would freak me out a bit, but I never did in the middle of the night. Mostly because mine didn't sleep through the night for many YEARS! Well, my oldest did after 13 mos, but my youngest is almost 6 and still wakes up sometimes!
Anyhoo, we had our oldest in our room for 4 weeks, and our youngest for 8 MONTHS. Three months is nothin' in my book!