Thursday, June 12, 2008

Mr. Snugglebutt

I think I have about the snuggliest baby alive. I love the fact that Brett loves to curl up in my arms and fall asleep. It is one of the best parts of being a mother. However, this poses certain problems. For example, as I stated in one of my earlier posts, I am trying desperately to lose my baby weight. Besides trying to eat properly (which I am getting better and better at) I need to exercise. And, now, I am MOTIVATED. I have some awesome workout videos and a really great treadmill, and some free weights. I have all of the tools I need. AND, I'm still on maternity leave. This is good right? I should be able to work out all day, right? Not so much. I have a baby snugglebutt. He will hang out in his swing, or bouncy seat, or under his mobile for about 5 - 10 minutes (on a good day) and then he's bored and wants to be held. I've even tried the pacifier. He's picky, though. If he's not getting what he wants, that pacifier gets spit right out. Now I know the first thing you are thinking "It's nice out. Why don't you just put him in his stoller and take a walk". And, yes, I agree with that statement. In fact, when my husband comes home from work, we normally do that. However, I also have 2 dogs that will throw a fit if I don't take them with Brett (impossible!), and I don't want to come home to a trashed house (hence Steve - he walks the dogs while I take the stroller).

I don't quite know how this started. I've read numerous things that say you can't spoil your baby by holding him too much. Okay, I agree. And, when Steve and I brought him home, we just didn't know what to DO with him. Like, some people "get it" to be parents. We didn't. We (or I at least) were afraid he would break if we put him down. Or I felt guilty if I put him down, like I was ignorning him. That part was hard for me because as a typical newborn, he was just a "blob". You know, he didn't do much at all. And, I didn't know what to do. Great combination. This combined with adoring grandparents who wanted to snuggle constantly with him led to a baby who wants to be held at all times.



Brett gives daddy one of his first rare smiles!!!

Now that Brett "gets it", it proves hard for me to get anything done. I can occasionally "trick" him by rocking him to sleep and getting him down for 30 minutes or so during the day. At these moments I'm racing around like a chicken with my head cut off. Laundry. Check. Lunch. Check. Etc., etc.

The worst thing? Getting a shower. I usually put him down in his pack & play (in our room) so I can hear him while in the shower. He normally starts cooing and making silly noises, which end up escalating to fussiness and eventually all out crying. I race to get out, but feel horrible if he's crying for 5 minutes. This is why at least once a week I don't get a shower until Steve gets home from work.




Steve gets the second shift. This is when I get my stuff done!


Brett has a pretty normal sleep cycle right now (by normal I mean like a regular person - not a baby). He is a GREAT sleeper at night (as I write this though, I know I'm pretty much screwed tonight). He'll fall asleep right before we go to sleep and then wake once to nurse in the middle of the night (I can't fault him for being hungry), and then he'll go back to sleep. But he's like us. He'll stay awke for the majority of the day. We hang out. And eat. And eat. And eat. That is Brett's favorite thing to do - nurse. I guess he has to store up his "reserves" to get through sleeping through the night. Which, come to think of it, is a pretty good thing.

Oh well. I shouldn't complain. I've been blessed with a beautiful baby boy who's healthy and (for the most part) happy. He just likes to snuggle - A LOT!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I remember all the feelings you are talking about - I always felt guilty for putting her down or for letting her cry for just a minute. Don't worry, soon he will be able to do a little more and you'll get your showers back while he contently bats at a toy. Oh and if makes you feel any better, nursing usually burns about 1000 extra calories a day for most people so sit back, kick your feet up, and keep nursing. That's how I got rid of my baby weight! :)

amypfan said...

Yeah, like Andrea needed to worry about getting rid of weight. :)

But Carrie, I know exactly what you're talking about! I actually used to walk on my treadmill with baby Bryn in my arms because she would start crying if I put her down. I do NOT recommend this, as it only added to my post-pregnancy back problems. And I used to put Bryn in her bouncy seat in the bathroom with me while I showered, and the sound of the water would often lull her to sleep.

On the up side, Shay is far more easygoing and willing to sit and play by herself while I get stuff done. Not that you're even thinking about a second one yet!!