Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Turning a Corner

Well, I know I've been moaning and complaining on here, and especially on Facebook over the past 3 months. As I stated earlier, either pregnancy amnesia hit me full force and I don't remember how bad it really was with Brett, or this one has REALLY been more difficult for me.

But, I'd say about a week and a half ago things really started to turn around for the better. And even though mother nature has been mean this year with all of the snow, my mood has actually lifted a little bit (I am guessing it has more to do with the fact that I feel human and less about the fact that there is still 1/2 a foot of snow on the ground).

And, to go along with that, last Thursday was my 12 week appointment. Everything went smoothly, including the fact that I hadn't gained, but lost about 1/2 a pound (which is good, considering as I have stated before, I am a pregnant hippo this time around). I'm sure that number will increase next month as the baby grows...but at least I have hope that by being more careful with my food selections this time around I can gain less weight.

The best part of the appointment was hearing the heartbeat, of course. The doctor said it usually takes a couple of minutes to find it this early in the pregnancy because the baby is so small, but she found it right away, and it sounded steady and strong. That, of course, made my whole day. Otherwise, since this is round #2 for me, I really didn't have any other questions or concerns so it was a pretty short appointment.

Brett came with me, as I imagine he will for most of my appointments. He did well, but the poor kiddo still doesn't have a clue. We've tried to talk to him about the baby but I don't know that any of it is sinking in. I have a feeling he'll be surprised come next summer!

And, my belly is definitely a pregnant belly. It was a little bit of a pooch for the first few weeks, but I'd say within the past 2 weeks or so, it's started to round out enough that I look about equivalent to where I was with Brett when he was 4 months in utero.

As of Tuesday, I'm officially 13 weeks, and am happy to move into the second trimester :)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Awww, you don't look huge - you look pregnant! And soon you will have the really cute really round belly. :)

Rebecca said...

Glad you are starting to feel better. It is definitely harder when you are chasing a toddler around :) I don't think Henry really figured it out until we were in the car home with Charlie...but I know he wouldn't trade it for the world!